EAGAN, Minn. (June 26, 2019) — The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota Foundation has awarded more than $3.25M in grants to 23 nonprofits in Minnesota. Eighteen grants are part of the Healthy Connections program which supports efforts to create safe, welcoming and connected communities across Minnesota. Grant awards are for one or two years and range from $27,000 to $100,000 per year.
Community conditions have a significant impact on health outcomes. Board Chair Dr. Craig Samitt, who also serves as CEO and President of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota explains, “Research shows that feeling safe, welcome, and connected in your community has immediate and life-long health benefits. Focusing upstream on the social determinants of health is key to advancing health equity and achieving community health goals.”
Carolyn Link, president of the Foundation, adds “We are excited to support these great Minnesota nonprofits, led by and serving people in diverse communities across the state. Community-led solutions are essential, and these nonprofits are positioned to make a real difference.”
The following organizations were selected to receive Healthy Connections grants. Read about the grants here.
- Casa de Esperanza, St. Paul
- Centro de Trabajadores Unidos en Lucha, Minneapolis
- Centro Tyrone Guzman, Minneapolis
- Coalition of Asian American Leaders, St. Paul
- Hispanic Outreach Program of Goodhue County, Red Wing
- Hope Community, Inc., Minneapolis
- Jewish Community Action, St. Paul
- Liberty Community Church, Minneapolis
- Men As Peacemakers (Men and Masculine Folks Network), Duluth
- Navigate, Minneapolis
- OutFront Minnesota Community Services, Minneapolis
- Project FINE, Winona
- Region Nine Area, Inc., Mankato
- Reviving the Islamic Sisterhood for Empowerment, Minneapolis
- SEWA-AIFW, Minneapolis
- Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services, Inc., St. Paul
- St. Paul Youth Services, St. Paul
- West Bank Community Development Corp., Inc., Minneapolis
In addition, three nonprofits were awarded grants to help strengthen and build nonprofit capacity. Read about the grants here.
- Alliance for Metro Stability, Minneapolis
- Nexus Community Partners, St. Paul
- Voices for Racial Justice, Minneapolis
Two organizations were awarded grants as part of the Foundation’s Healthy Start program focusing on increasing access to quality early childhood education. Read about the grants here.
- Children’s Defense Fund, St. Paul
- Lakes & Prairies Community Action Partnership, Moorhead
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota Foundation makes a healthy difference in communities by advancing health equity and improving conditions where people live, learn, work and play, awarding more than $55 million to over 500 nonprofits since it was established in 1986. For more information on Blue Cross’ grantmaking programs, visit bluecrossmnfoundation.org.